Sharetribe is a Helsinki-based company founded in 2011. The mission of our company is to democratize platform ownership. To achieve this, we have created an open source software project that anyone can use to easily create their own online marketplace platform in the spirit of Airbnb or Etsy. Sharetribe is a bit like “WordPress for marketplaces”. Our business model is to offer paid hosting for our software. Our hosting solution allows anyone to create and launch their own platform in one day, without technology skills. Today more than 600 companies are the paying customers of the hosting solution we’re offering at Sharetribe.com.
Some examples of platforms that our non-tech customers built with Sharetribe:
- Fairmondo UK is a platform cooperative that is using Sharetribe for their pilot.
- Cycle.land is a peer-to-peer bike sharing platform in Oxford (a bit like “Airbnb for bikes”), which is largely owned by its users after an equity crowdfunding campaign where the company raised almost £150k. Check out also a story about them on Forbes.
- More examples at our success stories page.
We wish to contribute to PCC mainly in two ways:
- Software development. Many platform coops struggle to build their tech platform. With our help and our off-the-shelf software solution they can save a lot of time and money, since the same software can be used by multiple co-ops. If you are planning on creating a platform co-op or have one but are struggling with your technology, don’t hesitate to get in touch! We can figure out together the best way to go forward.
- Help with the business side of things. For most marketplace platforms, creating the platform is not the most challenging part. Making it work for both sides of the marketplace is the challenge. To help with that, we’ve created a free online education portal where we’ve collected lots of tips on how to do marketing, community building, and so on.